Getting a divorce in Fort Worth: Part 2

Getting a divorce in Fort Worth: Part 2

A variety of resources


[Note: Please also see “Getting a divorce in Fort Worth: Part 1, which also has links to other Texas-related information.”]

Tarrant County is not very organized with its online resources, but we’ll pull together as a neat a package as we can.

Forms page, law library

First, here’s a link to a page about forms, which says, “For most legal procedures, including divorce and name changes, standardized forms do not exist. Documents must be created using sample wording obtained from legal form books.

“The Tarrant County Law Library staff can direct you to the relevant information that you can use to select the proper paperwork. You can then photocopy the information and use it to create your own personalized documents. Be advised that the library staff cannot select the documents for you or advise you in drawing them up. It will be your responsibility to read the information and identify what is necessary for you own individual situation. In addition the library does not keep track of the various filing fees.”

The Family Law District Clerk’s phone number is 817-884-1265. Associated fees can be seen here.

Tarrant County and the ‘e-court’

More info is found at the Tarrant County “e-court” page for “Pro Se Instructions for Divorce with Children” (pro se means representing one’s self, with no attorney), with links that do turn up forms, despite the earlier admonition:

Helpful Information

The Texas Young Lawyers Association published the Pro Se Divorce Handbook to answer many of your questions. You can read it online at or at Tarrant County Law Library. You can get free divorce forms at

Please do not ask the court clerk for legal advice. By law, only lawyers may give legal advice. The clerks are not attorneys. For legal advice you need to hire an attorney. You can also attend one of the free legal clinic listed on the attached sheet.

Going to Court

  • Proper clothing is required. Dress as if you were going to a professional job interview.
  • Bring a pen with you.
  • If you need a translator, bring an adult who is at least 18 years old and fluent in both your native language and in English.

Hiring an attorney

Remember, although it is legal to represent yourself pro se, experts advise retaining a trained, experienced–and compatible–attorney even in cases of uncontested divorce, if for no other reason than to ensure your divorce is legal and all terms are enforceable. Obviously, if the marriage involves significant property to be divided or disagreements over child custody and child support, both parties need able representation.

Free evaluation

We can help. If you’re ready to begin the search for a compatible, well trained, experienced divorce attorney, you can start with our free case evaluation. If you need more information, please browse our site, using the tabs at the top of the page.

Enhanced by Zemanta