Getting a divorce in Greensboro

Family court structure varies across state


As mentioned in “Divorce in North Carolina,” grief counseling can help with the emotional pain of divorce. Furthermore, if domestic violence is part of the relationship, family experts and legal authorities advise addressing those issues immediately. A trained, experienced attorney can help in these areas, including, of course, the legalities involved and in explaining your rights and protecting your interests.

Domestic violence resources

Residents of Greensboro, Guilford County and the Piedmont Triad metropolitan area also have several facilities and agencies that can help with domestic violence, including the following online resources:

Residency requirements

Either the plantiff (the “one who files) or the respondent (the one who “gets filed on”) must be a state resident for at least six months prior to the filing of the complaint, which is filed in the county where either party lives.


Guilford County Court, District 18 is administered from two addresses:

Greensboro Courthouse is 201 South Eugene Street, Greensboro, NC 27401. The mailing address for the Greensboro Courthouse is PO Box 3008, Greensboro, NC 27402. Phone number: (336) 412-7300.

The physical address for the High Point Courthouse is 505 East Green Drive, High Point, NC 27261. The mailing address for the High Point Courthouse is PO Box 2434, High Point, NC 27261. Phone number: (336) 822-6700.

Grounds, no-fault & fault-based

A “no-fault” divorce is available when the parties have lived “separate and apart” for at least one year.

Fault-based divorces are allowed other situations, including when spouses have lived apart for at least three years because of one spouse’s incurable insanity.


The court may grant divorces from bed and board on application of the party injured, made as by law provided, in the following cases if either party:

  1. Abandons his or her family.
  2. Maliciously turns the other out of doors.
  3. By cruel or barbarous treatment endangers the life of the other. In addition, the court may grant the victim of such treatment the remedies available under G.S. 50B?1, et seq.
  4. Offers such indignities to the person of the other as to render his or her condition intolerable and life burdensome.
  5. Becomes an excessive user of alcohol or drugs so as to render the condition of the other spouse intolerable and the life of that spouse burdensome.
  6. Commits adultery.


The state court system also has a related FAQ page, including these excerpted highlights:

Q: Do I have to wait a year for child support and my share of our marital property?
A: No, but if you and your spouse cannot agree on child support and division of your marital property you may need to seek the advice of an attorney about a separation agreement or some other form of action.

Some actions, such as the division of marital property (equitable distribution) must take place before the divorce is granted. You should seek the advice of a lawyer before you divorce.

Q: I haven’t received my most recent child support payment, what can I do?
If the Centralized Collection Unit is processing your payments then you should call 1.800.992-9457 or 1.877.531.1818 for more information. If your child’s other parent has paid you directly, and now no longer can or will pay you child support, you may have to file a child support action. In order to do this you should contact a lawyer or your local child support enforcement agency.

Free evaluation

No matter your marital situation, we can help. If you’re ready to begin the search for a compatible, well trained, experienced divorce attorney, you can start with our free case evaluation. If you need more information, please browse our site, using the tabs at the top of the page.