Getting a divorce in Jacksonville: Part 2

Getting a divorce in Jacksonville: Part 2

Take advantage of the courts’ Web site

May 14, 2011

By Mike Hinshaw

Part 1, “Getting a divorce in Jacksonville” also has a companion piece, “Divorce in Florida.”

The Duvall Circuit and County Courts provides many services via their Web site, along with the following notice:

Confidential information in court filings

IMPORTANT: Confidential Information within Court Filings – Effective October 1, 2010

Effective October 1, 2010 any paper filed with the court that contains confidential information (social security numbers, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc.) must be accompanied by a new form called “NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WITHIN COURT FILING“. The information entered on this form will indicate the type of confidential data being filed and its’ precise location within the document being filed. This requirement is a result of an amendment by the Florida Supreme Court to Rule 2.420 of the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration. To access the interactive form click here.

E-mail addresses as public information

The courts also warn that Florida law considers e-mail addresses used in official correspondence to be part of the public record. Therefore:  “If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.”

Child support payments

At this link, the Web site informs:

NOTE: In 1999, federal law required the State of Florida to collect child support through a state disbursement unit (SDU), known as (FLSDU) Florida State Disbursement Unit. Most child support payments are now processed through the FLSDU. Due to the magnitude of cases that go through the FLSDU a customer service system has been set up at the Tallahassee FLSDU for your conveyance. This Voice Response System can give you information about your account automatically. It will be able to tell you when the last check was issued to you. However, you will need your social security number and case number to get this information. If you do not have your case number, you can get it from the office of the Clerk in the county in which your support was ordered. The Voice Response Unit number is 1-877-769-0251.

More important info is available at that link–don’t overlook it if child support payments may be involved in your case. Good info, there.

Domestic violence

In almost all districts nationwide–in fact, every one I’ve read about–people are advised to address domestic violence first thing, no matter the status of divorce proceedings. Here’s the link for Duval County, including these topics:

That Web site is a great resource. Anyone in or around Jacksonville, Florida should become familiar with the site. Even though it’s possible to run your own divorce through the system, most experts agree you really need a good attorney.


And that’s where we can help. If you’re ready to begin the search for a compatible, well trained, experienced divorce attorney, you can start with our free case evaluation. If you need more information, please browse our site, using the tabs at the top of the page.

Enhanced by Zemanta