Getting a divorce in Mesa

Maricopa County offers many resources


As discussed in “Divorce in Arizona, Part 2,” it’s a good idea to at least consider counseling to deal with the emotional trauma of divorce, and if domestic violence is part of your situation, it’s imperative to address that immediately. A compatible, experienced attorney can help in both areas.

Also, please see “Getting a divorce in Arizona, Part 1” for an overview of state law and more about covenant marriage.  More info can be found at “Getting a divorce in Phoenix.”

Domestic violence resources in Maricopa County

Mesa, AZ and Maricopa County provide numerous resources to help with domestic violence, including:

Maricopa County Superior Court

According to, “It is important to get legal advice from a lawyer. Maricopa County Superior Court Self-Service Center has forms and instructions that you can use. The person filing for the divorce is called the Petitioner. The person responding to the divorce is called the Respondent.”

Another self-help resource can be found here.

County Clerk’s site and the Self Service Center

Yet another resource for questions specific to Maricopa County can be found at the county clerk’s page, which explains the process in steps, with Step 1 of the first five to follow:

If the party wishes to file their own divorce, they can pick up the forms at the Self Service Center, 101 W. Jefferson, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or Mesa at 222 E. Javelina or the Northeast Facility at 18380 N. 40th St., Suite 120, Phoenix, or the Northwest Facility at 14264 W. Tierra Buena lane, Surprise, from 8:00 am to 5:00 p.m., or download the forms at eforms or buy the forms at either an office supply, legal forms store or any retail or bookstore that sells the forms. The forms come in packets.

‘Simple’ dissolution & Consent Decree

According to the “Family Court” page, “A dissolution (divorce) [in which] the parties have been married for a relatively short period of time, have no children, and little property or debt can be less involved. A divorce where the parties have been married for a long period of time, where there are minor children, or where there is a significant amount of property or debt to be divided and the parties are in disagreement may take additional time. “

If you agree on all the issues, you may submit a Consent Decree. See complete instructions and paperwork for consent decree.

The Court enters a consent decree when all parties have agreed on how to resolve everything required for a divorce, legal separation or annulment. You must agree in writing to issues such as division of property and debt, spousal maintenance (if any), child custody, visitation, and support (if you have children). All parties must sign the written decree.

Complex, contested divorce

If your case is complex, and you don’t agree on everything, experts and legal authorities almost always recommend that both parties retain counsel, that is hire a trained, experienced divorce attorney.

Free evaluation

We can help. If you’re ready to begin the search for a compatible, well trained, experienced divorce attorney, you can start with our free case evaluation. If you need more information, please browse our site, using the tabs at the top of the page.