Robert Sand, the Most Wanted Dead Beat Dad to be sentenced

Robert Sand, the Most Wanted Dead Beat Dad to be sentenced

CNN reports that the nation’s “Most Wanted Deadbeat Parent” has pleaded guilty to evading $1.2 million in child support payments. Robert Sand, 50, has evaded his responsibilities as a father to his three children and his two former wives for more than 12 years. He even fled the country after two attempts to move to Florida and New York were not enough to avoid arrest.

Robert Sand – His Luck Ran Out


His luck finally ran out in November of this year when he was arrested after he attempted to enter the Philippines without proper identification. He was sent back to Los Angeles and has been arrested and detained by the United States Marshal Service.

Robert Sand, who has been a successful business man, had a business in Thailand and had generated sufficient revenues to accumulate over $1 million in child support payments.

Interestingly, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was able to use technology and the help from the public to bring Robert Sand to justice. In January 2012, Robert Sand was listed on the HHS website as the number one deadbeat offender.

This is good news for his children and ex-wife. The number one deadbeat dad, Robert Sand,  has been caught and will now have to meet his obligations to his family. The courts have stated he has admitted that he abandoned his responsibilities as a father and he admits to fleeing the country to do so. Unfortunately, his bond to his children meant little to him, and he was willing to do anything he had to do to eliminate his parental responsibilities.

Now Robert Sand will spend up to four years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for May 21. Robert Sand’s attorney did not have any comments.

What is Child Support?          


If you have had a child you have the financial obligation to support them until they reach maturity. If you do not have custody of your child the court will assume you will continue to make child support payments to the custodial parent. Child support is generally paid until the child reaches the age of majority or adulthood, until your child is active-duty military, or until the court declares your child emancipated. If your child has special needs, you may make child support payments past childhood.

Can Child Support be discharged in Bankruptcy?


If you are required to make child support payments, you have a job and you are able to but fail to do so, this is unacceptable and law enforcement will eventually get involved and force payments. Failure to provide payments when you have a high income, as Robert Sands did, seems almost unfathomable to most Americans.

But what if you have lost your job and you are unable to make your child support payments? Under some conditions you may be able to return to family court and restructure your child support payments.

Many noncustodial parents also wonder if they are able to discharge their child support payments in bankruptcy. If you owe child support a bankruptcy discharge will not be an option for you to eliminate your outstanding child support balance.


Enhanced by Zemanta